Welcome to my Blog

This Blog is a collection of my thoughts and experiences as a music therapist and human being working with people at the end of their lives in hospice. In my experience I have seen some amazing things- things that have given me a glimse of something bigger. I have learned that in our suffering, in our doubt, there is also room for beauty and a deeper sense of the divine. Music taps into the rhythms of the earth and at the same time transcends it. I want to share my experiences from the past and from each day moving forward. Hopefully one or two people will find it interesting. Please visit my Web-sites at http://www.nielsenmtbc.com/ or http://www.musictherapycd.com/



Please note that I take client confidentiality very seriously. Names and sometimes other details have been changed to protect the identities of my clients.

Wednesday, October 6, 2010

Why I'm doing this.

In my time as a music therapist in hospice, I've experienced some amazing things and met some amazing people. This spiritual journey forced me to question and then to deepen my faith. I don't claim to have the answers, but I have even more questions as the path unfolds. In times of great suffering I have seen great wonders. I have seen joy in the midst of sorrow, laughter in the midst of tears, comfort in the midst of pain, and healing even when a cure is not possibe.

I never cease to be amazed at the power of music and I want to share that. I want to share the way doing this job has changed me. I also hope to broaden the understanding of both hospice and music therapy.

I've decided to start this blog after encouragement from many people. Several people have encouraged me to write a book about the things I've experienced. I may do that one day, but at this time in my life that seems like a more distant goal. I plan to write about both past and present experiences here. I hope you will find it interesting. Thanks for visiting. I hope you will return.

Please note: I take client confidentiality very seriously. Names and sometimes places have been changed in order to protect the identity of my clients.

No comments:

Post a Comment